I am a California certificated educator with two teaching credentials, one in Multiple Subjects and one in Language Arts. I am also a professional writer.
Currently, I teach at Pathways Charter School. It's the perfect fit for me! I'm an Independent Study Teacher (IST) and get to teach classes as well as design personalized educational plans for my students, Kindergarten through 12th grade! That means I get to use both my teaching credentials to their full advantage, as well as use my researching and program design background to help make learning fun!
Of course, the students are amazing. So many different backgrounds, different goals, and all of them working with their parents to make sure they achieve academic success. We have a lot of fun learning in the project-based classes I teach--English, social studies, science, and art too! Woo-hoo!
You will find my current writing in the national magazine 101 Things to Do (Sonoma and Napa Counties) and the Green Schoolyards America California Activity Guide
(http://www.greenschoolyards.org/2015-living-schoolyard-month-activity-guide.html). Check out my travel blog to locate Sonoma and Napa county gems at http://101things.com/winecountry/category/TravelBlog/.
For five years, I also helped develop environmental education programs for children in California schools for a national utility company. Now I teach those programs to my students! I've often been contracted as a writer, editor and researcher.
Thirteen years of professional writing and instructional experience enables me to provide strengths in student instruction, professional curriculum and lesson plan writing (linking objectives to state standards, Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards), English Language Arts, collaboration project development, grant writing, fundraising, research and education. I currently have a single subject credential in English (for secondary students) and a multi-subject credential for elementary students. I love teaching!
PATHWAYS INDEPENDENT STUDY TEACHER
HIDDEN VALLEY LAKE, ANGWIN & ROHNERT PARK, CALIFORNIA
~ 2016 - PRESENT
Responsible for teaching four project and inquiry-based social studies and STEAM science classes to second through eighth grade students. In 2017, responsible for teaching high school college prep English class and a high school Poetry Workshop. In 2016, responsible for teaching three art classes to students, first through eighth grade. Responsible as a case manager for students and families as part of an educational team for 17 students, Kindergarten through tenth grade. Responsible for personalizing education, ordering curriculum through the OPS system and Destiny library system, getting contracts signed by parents and students, assessing and grading, entering class schedules for students in the PLSIS computer system. Responsible for guidance counselor duties, scheduling weekly and monthly meetings, organizing and taking students on field trips, proctoring Smarter Balance tests and other high school exams, balancing student budgets, creating pacing for Science Fusion third and fourth grade, site management and case managerial duties. Daily collaboration and communication with students, parents, colleagues, teachers and staff. Introduced “Green Screen” and “Explain Everything” technology as a new way to demonstrate learning; set up green screen walls at two regional site locations.Writes monthly newsletter for two regional sites, incorporating a new section “Student of the Month” promoting student community. Copy edits and edits various documents, such as STEM Fair and History Fair.
PRIMARY FIRST GRADE CLASSROOM TEACHER, EVERGREEN ELEMENTARY, COTATI-ROHNERT PARK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT;
ROHNERT PARK, CALIFORNIA ~ 2015 - 2016
Responsible for teaching first graders district-wide curriculum, communicating with parents, and collaborating with the First Grade Team as well as other coworkers. I also include innovative instruction in outdoor science, gardening, environmental education, nutrition, cooking, and newsletter writing.
GARDEN & NUTRITION COORDINATOR, MONTE RIO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT; MONTE RIO, CALIFORNIA ~ 2012 - 2015
Responsible for teaching seven classes per week to students in Kindergarten through Eighth Grade, as well as students First Grade through Third Grade in the After School Program. Duties included instruction in gardening, nutrition, healthy cooking, safety, physical exercise, and newsletter writing. Duties also included lesson planning; program design; planning and planting of school garden; grant writing; fundraising; development of community, student and family connections.Wrote and was awarded 10 grants for the program. Awarded a Certification of Excellence for the Garden & Nutrition Program at Monte Rio School (May 2014), was a finalist for Sonoma State University’s Jack London Award for Education Innovation (May 2014), and won Second Place for the School Garden Exhibit Category at the National Heirloom Exposition (September 2014).
PARAEDUCATOR FOR THIRD & FOURTH GRADE, MONTE RIO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT; MONTE RIO, CALIFORNIA ~ 2013- 2015
Responsible for teaching third and fourth grade core curriculum. I also taught the environmental education programs I helped develop for children in California schools.
PROFESSIONAL WRITER & ENERGY EDUCATION SPECIALIST; DUNCANS MILLS, CALIFORNIA ~ 2009- 2014
* Responsible for the research and development of 10 energy conservation programs, including environmental activity books, calendars, and lesson plans for a national utility company, distributed to more than 300,000 children in California schools.
* Professional K-12 curriculum writer. Responsible for writing lesson plans linking student objectives to Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards. Subcontracted for writing, researching, consulting, copyediting, and proofreading.
* Published freelance author with experience in writing articles, travel blogs, columns, press releases, webpage content, news, feature articles, newsletters, and fiction. Experience in copyediting.Writing distributed statewide, nationally, and soon will be distributed internationally (through Green Schoolyards America).
BOOK AWARDS JUDGE; DUNCANS MILLS, CALIFORNIA ~ 2011- CURRENT
Judge for Latino Literacy Now’s International Latino Book Awards
WRITER FOR 101 THINGS TO DO - WINE COUNTRY MAGAZINE ~ 2012 - CURRENT
Writer of articles and a travel blog regarding fun and interesting things to do in Sonoma and Napa counties. To view the blog, visit http://101things.com/winecountry/category/ TravelBlog/.
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATOR /KAYAK GUIDE, WATERTREKS ECOTOURS; JENNER, CALIFORNIA ~ 2010 - 2015
Educator of public and students about the environment and wildlife via kayak. Helped protect the harbor seals.
FIRST & SECOND GRADE TEACHER / PARAEDUCATOR, MONTE RIO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT; MONTE RIO, CALIFORNIA ~ 2012 - 2013
Responsible for teaching first and second grade core curriculum. I also taught an environmental education program I helped develop. Lead teacher one day a week; paraeducator four days per week.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER / MOLOKA’I MIDDLE SCHOOL; HO’OLEHUA, HAWAII ~ FEBRUARY 2008 - JUNE 2008
Responsible for teaching English Language Arts to Seventh and Eighth Graders. (Accredited for helping increase student scores.)
HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER / MOLOKA’I MIDDLE SCHOOL; HO’OLEHUA, HAWAII ~ FEBRUARY 2007 - JUNE 2007
Responsible for teaching English Language Arts to Ninth,Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelve Grade students.
JOURNALISM TEACHER / UPLINK AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM; HO’OLEHUA, HAWAII ~ JULY 2006 - APRIL 2007
Responsible for teaching journalism and photojournalism to Seventh and Eighth Graders. Creator and editor of first student-run newspaper for Moloka’i Middle School.
JOURNALIST; MOLOKA’I DISPATCH & MOLOKA’I TIMES; KAUNAKAKA’I, HAWAII ~ DECEMBER 2006 - JUNE 2008
Wrote my own column,“Everyday Angels,” for six months, wrote feature articles, sent on assignment to Kahoolawe to cover an island restoration news story.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER / MOLOKA’I MIDDLE SCHOOL; HO’OLEHUA, HAWAII ~ OCTOBER 2005 - JUNE 2006
* Taught a Math Workshop class to Seventh and Eighth Graders. (Accredited for helping increase student scores.)
* Taught a Writing Workshop class to Eighth Graders. (Accredited for helping increase student scores.)
HEALTHY COOKING INSTRUCTOR / ENCINITAS, CALIFORNIA ~ FEBRUARY 2003 - FEBRUARY 2004
Provided workshops and international cuisine raw cooking classes; instructed adults in the benefits of eating raw food and of the negative results of eating processed food.
* Trained as a Maker Educator through S.C.O.E.’s Summer Institute of 20th Century Learning (June 2015)
* Trained in Direct Interactive Instruction (D.I.I.) through Action Learning Systems (2015-2016)
* California Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential with EL Authorization (October 2014- November 2019)
* California Single Subject Teaching Credential, English Language Arts (November 2008 - December 2014)
* CPR Certification (January 2013 - Present)
* NCLB Highly Qualified Teacher Certificate of Compliance (October 2014)
* Completion of BTSA Induction Program (August 2013 - May 2015)
* Humboldt State University (August 2013 - June 2015)
* University of California, San Diego (May 2012 - August 2014)
* Licensed & Certificated Hawaii English Language Arts Teacher (December 2006)
* Post Baccalaureate in Secondary Education Teaching Credential in Language Arts (December 2006)
* University of Hawaii at Manoa Statewide Program (May 2005 – December 2006)
* Substitute Training (June 2004 – July 2004)
* B.A. in English / Creative Writing from Sonoma State University (August 1994 – December1995)
* California State University of San Marcos (August 1991 – December1993)
* Certification of Excellence for the Garden & Nutrition Program at Monte Rio School
* Finalist for Sonoma State University’s Jack London Award for Education Innovation
* Second Place for School Garden Exhibit at the National Heirloom Exposition
Semi-fluent in Spanish. Eight years of instructional experience enables me to provide strengths in Common Core instruction and planning; professional curriculum and lesson plan writing (including linking objectives to Common Core and NGSS standards); all aspects of English Language Arts; engaging, positive interaction with students and their families/guardians; collaboration project development; research; field trip planning; publicity; and marketing. My experience teaching immersion Native Hawaiian students on the island of Moloka’i, Hawaii, helped me develop cross-cultural and English Learner skills. I also have experience in writing and being awarded grants, fundraising, social media marketing, and most software and design programs. I enjoy working with others, respectfully and reciprocally. Integration of technology is a must. I have extensive experience teaching students to use iPads as well as how to utilize a big screen Apple TV in conjunction with the ELMO, computer, and iPhone camera. I have taught students how to create informative reports using green screen apps, comic strip apps, and how to navigate Mountain Math, an online supplemental common core math curriculum website I have used successfully for three years now. I love teaching!
For more information, work samples and references, please contact me.